Coronavirus update: How to help yourself
We can all take steps to help protect ourselves and others against viruses, including COVID-19. Whilst it is important to feel reassured that the UK is very well prepared for more cases of COVID-19, we can all be taking action and following steps as outlined in Public Health England’s helpful guide to help reduce the spread of germs, which you can view here: ‘5 things you can do to protect yourself and your community’.
The first of these is to “wash your hands regularly and catch coughs and sneezes in a tissue”.
Public Health England guidance recommends that you:
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- always wash your hands when you get home or into work
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin straight away and wash your hands afterwards
- try to avoid close contact with people who are unwell
If you have recently been to one of the affected areas and are feeling unwell, you should use the NHS 111 online coronavirus service or call NHS 111 for further advice straight away – please don’t go to your doctor or a hospital.
Please see the gov.uk website for up to date information for the public https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
There’s lots of advice on how people can protect themselves online at www.nhs.uk/coronavirus.
A series of posters with information and tips are available from PHE which you can use and display and are available to download from here: